There will be times in your professional life, regardless of your position, when you will want to scream GFY! from the rooftops.
DON’T DO IT!
Part of becoming an adult is learning how to deal with conflict constructively and to have uncomfortable conversations while maintaining a professional demeanor.
Whether it’s standing up for yourself, delivering bad news or, disagreeing with a colleague/superior we must ALL learn how to have those conversations and make them productive.
Here are some tips to help you get through those tough conversations:
- Stay calm! Breathe! You can do this.
- Speak softly but firmly.
- Stick to the facts. Do NOT exaggerate. If you have legitimate beef you shouldn’t need to.
- Don’t just bitch and moan. Ask for reason and resolution.
If it’s come to the point were you can no longer work for/with this person/company and need to move on from the situation:
- REMAIN PROFESSIONAL
- Continue to give 100% to your job
- Check your attitude!
- Look for a new gig on your OWN time
- Give ample notice and thank them for the opportunity
Burning bridges is a luxury that those of us pursuing a career cannot indulge in.
If you’ve done a good job, do NOT ruin the relationship.
Every employer is a future reference.
Even if you haven’t done a good job, do NOT ruin the relationship.
Don’t let impulse and poor judgement keep you from succeeding down the road.